Monday 2 May 2011

9 week count down

It's now only nine weeks and a few days until my channel swim slot, I have now received my membership certificate from the CS&PF, how scary is that.

We have been in the open water for the last three weeks and beginning to get acclimatised, though I must admit I have been wearing a wet suit to get some distance in.  The good news is that last week I managed one hour in my swim suit.  We have been swimming in the crouch which is the tidal river five minutes from where we live.  It has a wicked tide which is really good for resistance training.

We had a little challenge this weekend it was the 2swim4life one mile every mile for 24 hours in aid of help for hero's.  I can truthfully say I have never done anything so difficult, it took place at the Guildford Lido.  Every hour you got into the cold water and swam 32 lengths (50m pool), there were water jets at each end of the pool which made the water extremely choppy.  I think I must have drunk half the pool.  I was ready to give up at 7 miles the constant getting in and out of the pool was really mentally wearing, but as always Lorraine made me get back in and I am glad she did. 

Unfortunately I only made it to 18 miles and the cold took such a hold I could do no more.  I feel extremely annoyed with myself but I have learnt a lot from the experience and will use it to get me across the channel as I don't want to feel that way again.  Safe to say Lorraine being my hero completed the challenge what a coach.

That challenge has left me with no doubt that I will achieve my goal to cross the channel, firstly I was only 3 miles short of the channel distance and I know distance wise I could have continued, secondly I was wet and cold for over 18 hours, my crossing should only take 14 hours at the most and thirdly  but most importantly my instructions to Lorraine is not to let me out of the water unless I am floating. 

To keep me motivated and help raise money for my channel charities I am asking people to purchase a quarter of a mile and I will swim that distance for that person,  If you wish to be a motivator please provide me with a photo so that it can be displayed during that appropriate distance and a message for my support team to read out when I begin your distance.  Once you have made your donation on my charity site stating which mile you would like to sponsor I will put your photo on my mile motivator Chart which I plan to keep posted on this blog.

I will be updating this blog weekly so that you can all be part of this 9 week count down, so have a good week and look forward to updating you next week. bye for now.

If you wish to make a donation or get me to swim for you then please visit the web site below. http://uk.virginmoneygiving.com/Karensbigswim

1 comment:

  1. May I take the whole of mile 20 please, coz I suspect you want to swim mile 21 for yourself and your charity. You will have to wait for my photo, coz in true 'Bettsy style', I'm gonna make sure it reflects the reason why you should do that mile. You are gonna take one look at it, and think, OMG, its her, I better do this mile or else. L.O.L. Well done for Guildford, you are a star. 18 miles, 18 hours, freezing, hypothermic, tired - your first experience of anything like that and you did so well. You are so gonna cross that channel.

    ReplyDelete